Katharina Davitt gave three delightful presentations this year, for the Utah Beekeepers’ Association’s Annual Convention. She has been kind enough to share her slides in PDF format, and has designed them in such a way that they serve as a handy and informative reference.
Page 3 of 7
Join us for our February Wasatch Beekeepers Association meeting on Thursday, February 21st, at 7:00 PM. We will meet in our usual location at the Salt Lake County Government Center located at 2001 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84190, in the Council Chambers north building.
Our guest speakers include Dr Sandra Hope with an update on the American foulbrood phage treatment and Joey Caputo from the Utah Department of Agriculture with an update on American Foulbrood in Utah as well as information on state inspections.
The Utah Beekeepers’ Association’s 2019 Convention is scheduled to take place this weekend on Friday, February 22nd and Saturday, February 23rd. Registration begins on both days at 8:30 AM with the program running from 9 AM to 5 PM on Friday and 9 AM to 2 PM on Saturday. An association dinner is scheduled to begin on Friday at 6:30 PM. Admission is included with an annual membership in the Utah State Beekeepers Association and an additional $25 fee applies for those who would like to enjoy the Friday evening dinner.
- Mel Disselkoen (On-the-Spot queen-rearing)
- Ian Esplin (American Foulbrood phage treatment)
- Nathan Oakes (Varroa update from Cornell University)
- Katharina Davitt (Waxmoth)
- Peter Somers (Why colonies abscond)
- Deric Despain (USU Extension Service)
This is an excellent opportunity to learn more about beekeeping and to meet some other beekeepers large and small, and of particular note the convention is being held relatively close to where many of those of us in the Wasatch Beekeepers Association live.
Wasatch Beekeepers Association – General Meeting
Thursday, January 17, 2019, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Salt Lake County Council Chambers
- Introduction new club officers by Veldon.
- He shared information from the ABF meeting regarding a honey finder button for either selling honey or locating local honey (honey.com).
- Denise brought in tickets to the Sundance movie, “Honeyland”, showing at the Broadway Centre Cinemas; 111 East Broadway (300 South), SLC on January 29. You must arrive 15 minutes and be in your seats before the movie is to start or the doors are closed and you will not be allowed in. Free parking available with validation at Broadway Centre Garage (east of Broadway Theatre).
- Kyla Bachman passed out $10 coupons for Desert Hive. She told us of classes offered by Desert Hive; including a two-hour class on Varroa mites.
- Kari discussed the USU Thriving Hive series offered through Event Brite. The beginning beekeeping series is $45, and this cost includes this year’s membership into WBA. There is also an Advanced Beekeeping class offered as well for $100.
- Jerry Lynn, Natalee Thompson and Peter Somers shared their techniques for winter hive management.
- Veldon quickly discussed the Varroa mite problem, and stated that mite control will be addressed every meeting in some form.
- Peter Somers will come out and perform a hive inspection. He also has an infrared camera that can be used to determine if your cluster is still alive. He can be reached at 801-874-2999.
- Al Chuback gave a presentation on his
trip to Jordan.
- Beekeepers reduce frame numbers to force center clustering for winter.
- Beekeepers there do not feed their bees; hives are much smaller.
- Meeting closed at 9 pm. 40 people attended the meeting.
- Next meeting: February 21.
Tuesday, January 15
7:00pm – 8:00pm
South Jordan, 10673 South Redwood Road, South Jordan, Utah, 84095
Enjoy an hour of bee keeping information with the Salt Lake County Bee Inspector.
- This is NOT a sanctioned WBA Event.
The next WBA meeting
Thursday, January 17, 2019
Location: Salt Lake County Complex 2001 South State Street in the main Council Chambers
Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
There will be a “Tips & Tricks” and questions from 6:45 pm to 7:00 pm for those who get there early.
New Board Expectations and updates (Veldon Sorensen) Managing Hives in the dead of winter (Natalee Thompson, Jerry Lynn) History of beekeeping and Jordan Trip (Albert Chubak)
Wasatch Beekeeping Association will be working with Utah State Extension Services and will have a “Beginning Beekeeping” class. This will be on the same dates beginning on February 21, 2019 through June 2019. The course location will be at the Salt Lake County Complex 2001 South State Street, but will be in the “South Building” in the Utah State Extension classroom. The time will be from 6:00 pm to 6:50 pm so that these students can then come over to the main WBA meeting. The cost will be $45.00 and will include the yearly membership dues to the Wasatch Beekeeping Association.We will be setting up an Eventbrite registration for this class.
Dates of future meetings (and the Beginning Beekeeping class):
February 21, 2019
March 21, 2019
April 18, 2019
May 16, 2019
Possible picnic/potluck and workshop, hopefully at Wheeler Farm in June.
The Wasatch Beekeeping Association had a wonderful potluck dinner and elections on November 15, 2018. Thank you to everyone who joined us! We also had some new people attend who joined as new members.
I would like to announce the results of the election:
President: Veldon Sorensen
Vice President: James Peirce
Treasurer: Rosemary Bennett
Secretary: Lora Owens
Program Director: Kari Taylor
Public Relations: This is still being adjusted. Denise B Hunsaker did not run, but she was elected to continue working with the club because she does so much for the club. Therefore, she has agreed to assist with this position with a lot of help from others.
Facebook/Social Media Administrator: Amy Wilson. Amy will help take on some of the jobs of the public relations and assist in any way possible.
We look forward to working together and planning out the next year for the club.
Please be aware that there is not a meeting in December. Our next WBA meeting will be on January 17, 2019 at the Salt Lake County Complex, 2001 South State.
Please congratulate all these new people who have volunteered to help run the Wasatch Beekeepers Association club.
If your able to help please call 801-473-3665 and let us know PLEASE!
We need some help on the following days/times:
Thurs. September 2nd 2 to 6
Sun. September 9th 2 to 6
Wed. September 12th 2 to 6 and 6 to 10
Thursday September 13th All Time Slots
Friday September 14th 10 to 2 and 6 to 10
Saturday September 15th 10 to 2 and 6 to 10
Sunday September 16th 6 to 10